The Harvest (The Last Orphans Book 2) by N.W. Harris, Review and Interview


Description:

In the wake of the apocalypse, nobody is safe. 

Shane Tucker and his friends thought they managed to save the world from the destructive machine that killed off most of its adult population. Unfortunately, a war nobody was prepared for has only just begun. Now they find themselves joining ranks with a secret organization that will train them to fight for the right to survive. Taking refuge alongside other teenage survivors in a hidden base set deep within the mountains, they will learn how to repel an imminent attack by an ancient race of aliens. 

Determined to safeguard the children under their charge, Shane and his friends compete for the ultimate prize—a suicide mission against the flagship of the alien fleet. While Shane's feelings for Kelly deepen, along with his need to protect her, he finds emotions clouding his judgment. He’ll gladly die for her. But he refuses to die with her. No amount of training can prepare them for what is to come. Everything the brave teenagers have endured thus far will be eclipsed, with the freedom of humanity hanging in the balance. 

The Harvest is the heart-pumping sequel to The Last Orphans by N.W. Harris.



Review:

Wow! Everything has changed. At the end of The Last Orphans we are left wondering about a new development, some adults have survived. Well, The Harvest picks up right where it left off. N.W. Harris takes us on a new journey of survival, trust and love. The friends find out there is more to the story then they thought. The machine is off, but the threat to humanity is still alive. The aliens are coming and the teens now have to train to protect everyone from being enslaved or slain. With teams from around the world they begin their fight for their lives.

The Harvest is an action packed sequel that kept me on the edge of my seat. It is an amazing book that is very well written. Mr. Harris paints the whole picture with his words so we can easily see it all and experience the emotions that go with it. He had me laughing and crying at times throughout the book. There were even parts that made me nauseous to imagine. I love how Mr. Harris added in the petty arguments and fights in the middle of all the impending doom. It just makes it even more real. I absolutely love this series and can’t wait to see where it goes next.

At the end of The Harvest we are left on a major cliffhanger and everything seems up in the air. This book answered many questions, but created many more. The next book should be out of this world! Congratulations N.W. Harris on a job well done!
~Candy


Interview :

Check out our interview with the amazing author N.W. Harris.


Mr. Harris, I would like to thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to join us for this interview.  Let’s start out simple. What inspired you to become a writer? When did you begin writing?

I’ve always been an artist, dabbling in words, paint, clay, metal, plastic—anything and everything. Being one of those people who need to be creative as much as I need to breathe, art has been the one constant in my life. Eight years ago, when my son was born, I found that I had little time for most creative outlets. Writing was there me, the perfect solution because I could sit down for five or fifteen minutes and work on a story, then close the computer when my daughter (just 13 months older than my boy) and my son both demanded immediate and complete attention as is the right of every young princess or prince. Once the storm of bottles, burping and diapers passed, and I cleaned the barf off my shoulder, I could jump back on the computer and pick up where I left off. Incidentally, I discovered that writing is the art form I was meant to do all along—it provides me with the greatest satisfaction and the result takes up a lot less space! To answer the question directly, my children are the reason I write, then because there was nothing else I had time to do, and now because I want to show them that we can find success in any dream as long as we give ourselves over to it absolutely and persist like our lives depend on perfecting our craft.
~

I know most writers would say they have a great support system, with their families, friends and so on. Who are your top supporters, the ones you feel that there would be no books without?

Number one is my wife. She read my first rough drafts so many years ago, saw my potential and encouraged me. Without her, I don’t think I would have persisted. I also have a close friend who is a voracious reader that has been very helpful along the way. And I have another writer friend, Jennifer Anne Davis, who has been my critique partner for years who has been instrumental in my success.
~

I noticed there are many facts in your books. You must have spent many hours researching and studying the information you found. Then, you were able to seamlessly integrate it in to your books without it being forced. So how much time do you spend on research for each book? Do you do all your research before you start a book or as you go along?

I’m one of those guys who went to college way too long, changed my major several times and stuffed my brain full of information in the process. I also like to geek out on History Channel, Discovery and stuff like that. A lot of the information in my books comes from that base of knowledge, and I have an idea of what I’m going to include in the book as I write. When I come to a section of the novel where that information is to be used, I do the research at that time to make sure the things I remember from my education are correct. So basically, when I need some supporting research, I stop writing and do the research as needed. I only do a limited amount of research before I start writing.
~

I am a sci-fi/fantasy fanatic in books and movies. I love most sub-genres therein. What is your favorite genre to read? What genres do you feel you will be writing in?

I’ll read almost anything, but I really love the classics. I like reading books that have stood the test of time and try to understand what makes them such durable stories. I love writing YA Science Fiction, particularly post-apocalyptic style books, so I’ll probably keep my focus on that genre for the near future. I also have dabbled with the idea of writing a historical fiction when time permits, and I’d love to take a classic Victorian novel and turn it into a modern science fiction story at some point.
~

I just finished reading The Harvest and I was wondering, how did you come up with such a fascinating idea for this series?

I’m fascinated with ancient alien theories, and I thought it would be fresh to use those theories to write a YA novel. I wanted to give YA readers something different, and I wanted to use small town kids as the protagonists in a story.  
~

In the Last Orphans the animals and bugs were attacking and killing the people. So after I read the Last Orphans you had me looking at all the dogs in my yard and thinking that I would be a goner in no time. Have you ever questioned the animals around you since you came up with that disturbing apocalyptic prospect?

Yes! I used to look at animals and think of how pure their thoughts were, how sweet my friends’ dogs were and that they wouldn’t harm a soul. But I kind of messed up that notion in The Last Orphans. Now I can’t help wondering how close we are to these animals and wondering what they could do to us if they suddenly turned. I guess that’s one of the hazards of having an overactive imagination, lol.
~

You hit us with some big surprises in The Harvest. Things we didn’t see coming in The Last Orphans.  My question is, without giving anything away, should we expect to find out any shocking revelations in book 3? And while we are on the subject, how many books do you plan to have for the series?

Oh yeah, book three should make your head spin as much as the first two. My goal is to have each book read like a stand-alone novel, yet be hinged on the bigger story of these teens trying to survive the impossible. Right now I can tell you that there will also be a fourth book in the series and possibly a fifth. The story has taken a life of it’s own, so it will let me know when it’s time for the conclusion (if that makes sense J).
~

How could you leave me in such an emotional place at the end of The Harvest? I feel like everything hangs in the balance and I can’t wait to find out what happens next. Do you have any idea when book 3 will be coming out? Are you already working on it?

Hah, I can’t say I’m sorry for leaving you hanging at the end of The Harvest, it was my intention (smiles wickedly). I like an ending that makes you curse me a little, lol. I am working on book three, and it’s almost halfway done. Expect to see it about six months after The Harvest is released, so sometime in the fall of 2015.
~

There is one question we love to ask our authors. This is for all the aspiring writers out there.  What advice would you give someone who wants to start writing or is having a hard time getting started?

I would say write what you love, take time to polish your craft (years), and persist. Don’t start writing with the idea of being published and getting paid as your primary motivation, you will go mad. Write because you love writing—success will come to those who never give up!
~

I will let you have the last word. Thank you again for being with us today. Just tell us anything you want us to know about you or your books. Any last words?


I’d just like to thank my readers. It means the world to me that people read my books and enjoy my stories. I started writing for me, but now that people are reading my work and enjoying it, I feel there is a greater purpose to my efforts. So, thank you and please keep reading!
~

Purchase The Last Orphans book 1
(Free on Amazon)

Purchase The Harvest book 2

Find N.W. Harris




0 comments:

Post a Comment